The Glynn County Parks & Recreation Department opened a new recreational facility on Saturday, May 23, 2009 the Neptune Park Fun Zone will open for the first time to residents and visitors. The Fun Zone is a multifaceted complex that includes a pool with splash feature, putt‐putt golf course and landside playground. The new facility also includes a bath house and concession stand. The Fun Zone is located in Neptune Park on St. Simons Island between the Casino and the lighthouse.
The facility will be open from Memorial Day weekend until Labor Day with extended operating hours of 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm for the pool and 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm for putt‐putt golf. The public will have access seven days a week. The days and times of operation offered at this new venue are a significant improvement over what was offered on the island in the past.
The multi‐functional pool of the Neptune Park Family Zone will allow expanded capacity for users and expanded services. The Parks & Recreation Department will offer water aerobics and swimming lessons in the morning prior to public swim times. The Neptune Park Fun Zone pool is open from 1 to 8 p.m. Daily admission is $7 per person.
The opening of Neptune Park Fun Zone marks the completion of Phase I of a comprehensive redesign plan for Neptune Park. The goal of the Village Master Plan was to create family friendly resources on St. Simons Island. Phase II of the Fun Zone will address the remainder of Neptune Park to enhance sidewalks, seating and lighting.
The following services will be offered at Neptune Park Fun Zone:
- Public Swim 7 days a week 1pm‐8pm
- Lifeguarded Water
- American Red Cross Swimming Lessons, Parent/Child, Preschool (new*), Learn‐to‐Swim Level 1‐6
- Private Swim Lessons by certified Instructors (new*)
- Swim Team (new*) Novice Team
- Water Aerobics (new* to this pool)
- Group Rates
- Locker Rental (new*)
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Course
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Certification Course
- American Red Cross Basic Water Rescue (what foster parents who have a pool need)