Visitors from all over are heading to St. Simons Island for summer vacations. The coastal climate, southern hospitality, and variety of outdoor activities are just a few reasons travelers feel safe visiting our beach town. However, the need to get away can also result in above average crowds. No need to worry, there are still plenty of options for summer fun at socially acceptable distances. Here are our top 5 things to do in St. Simons to protect you and your family and still have fun while visiting the Golden Isles.
- Life at Low Tide: Simons Island beach has tides that range from 6-10 feet. While high tide provides an extra breeze and bigger waves, it often draws larger crowds and less space on the beach. Low tide is the perfect time for long walks and beachcombing. Coastal Georgia is home to sand dollars, conch shells, and a wide variety of crab and shellfish that you can easily find during low tide. And once you’re done collecting shells, pop up a tent and enjoy a beach day.
- Yoga: Many yoga studios such as Omcore Yoga and Balance Wellness are open and implementing safe practices. If you aren’t quite ready for the group environment, we suggest you head out for fresh air and scenic views. East Beach St. Simons is an active beach with plenty of parking and space to practice your downward dog. To avoid a sandy situation, check out Neptune Park at the St. Simons Island Pier, an expansive park with a covered atrium provide views and shade if necessary.
- Biking: Biking on SSI is one of the healthiest ways to enjoy the beauty of the island. With over 30 miles of bike trails you can visit historic sites, ride down the beach, or bike to shops and restaurants. All while keeping your distancing from others and getting in plenty of exercise. Check out our blog for more details.
- Grill Out. Several restaurants are closed due to CoVid19 or only offering takeout options, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy all the flavors of coastal GA. Neptune Park on St. Simons Island and Great Dunes on Jekyll Island provide grills and plenty of picnic tables perfect for grilling with the family and enjoying ocean views. Craving seafood, check out Simons Seafood or City Market in Downtown Brunswick and grab some fresh Georgia shrimp or local fish. Then pop by Golden Isles Olive Oil for all the toppings you need to make an excellent dinner at your St. Simons vacation rental.
- Book a private home – we think all Hodnett Cooper Vacation Rentals are fabulous, however, if you truly want to keep it in the family then booking a private home with a private pool is the perfect way to play and stay safe. Check out our Simons vacation rentals and book your family vacation today.