This weekend, November 11th, 2017 the annual Golden Isles Veteran’s Day Parade and Ceremony will take place. The parade will start at 10:30 at Mallery Park and will finish up on the Casino stage at Neptune Park. Following the parade, the ceremony Salute to Veterans will begin at 11 am. Bring your family and friends and show your appreciation and support for our Veterans who have selflessly served and protected our country. Make sure to bring a lawn chair to the ceremony as seating will be limited. This weekend’s forecast is chilly and overcast so be sure to dress warm.
From the Veterans Council of the Golden Isles,
“The parade and ceremony will be led by the United States Army, 3rd Infantry Division Color Guard and a 32 Soldier marching unit from Fort Stewart, Georgia. Representatives from Golden Isles Veterans groups will participate in the occasion. All Veterans are encouraged to attend and participate in this event. The 2017 Guest of Honor is 3rd Infantry Division Commander, Colonel Terrance Adams, United States Army Fort Stewart, Georgia. He will represent all Veterans and the United States Army as well as speaking at the ceremony. Two special local citizens will be recognized on the stage. · The 2017 Veterans Council Veteran of the Year award recognizes a local individual who has excelled in both Civilian and Military Service accomplishments. This year’s recipient is U.S. Navy Veteran Zarak Hasbrouck of Brunswick, Glynn County, Georgia. · The 2017 Civilian Recognition Award will be presented to Chandra Capps Kendall of Saint Simons Island, Glynn County, Georgia for her extraordinary service to Veterans. For information, visit www.myvcgi.com “Veterans Council of the Golden Isles.””
The ideal destination for many; St Simons Island offers breath-taking landscapes from the salt marshes to the miles of white sand and ocean breeze. 5 star cuisine options and outdoor activities galore make this the perfect destination year-round however there are a few things we love about Autumn in the south. Beautiful weather, fall activities, and family fun to name a few!
Most days are beautiful and sunny, you will also experience great temperatures all fall long. With the average temperature remaining in the 70’s through November there is never a day too cold to enjoy all the beauty St Simons island offers.
Surrounded by picture perfect scenery, the outdoor fall activities are endless. Rent a bike and enjoy the miles of bike paths taking you through winding marsh front roads or cruse down the beach, with oceanfront views! You could also charter a boat and go fishing in the intercostal or enjoy a day in the marshes on a paddleboard or kayak.
St Simons and the surrounding areas love to host fun outdoor parties! Each Friday in Brunswick enjoy food, fun, and music or if you looking for something a little more low key, watch an outdoor movie on the Village Green on Jekyll Island.
This time next weekend Georgia Florida Weekend on St Simons Island will be underway! Here are a few things to help you plan your weekend.
Participate in the community beach clean up that will be taking place Saturday 10/28 at 7:30 am. Before heading to the BIG GAME, please join the 10th annual Georgia/Florida Community Beach Sweep. The bags and gloves will be provided… we just need Y-O-U!
Enjoy a little friendly competition at the 38th annual Georgia-Florida Golf Classic held on Jekyll Island. Followed by a Low Country Boil & Tailgate party as well as a Casino night. The festivities begin with the Golf Tournement Wednesday October 25tth followed by the Tailgate party & Low Country Boil. Then Thursday October 26th the Casino Night will kick off. For full details and pricing click here.
The BIG game starts at 3:30 next Saturday on the SEC Network. You can watch locally at many restaurants and bars. OR you hop in your car and head south on I-95 and you will be to the stadium in about an hour and a half. (Depending on traffic it could take a little longer)
Be safe and have fun!
This weekend is going to packed with so many great fall activities here in the Golden Isles so be sure to get out and enjoy with family and friends! We’ve picked our top 3 favorite Halloween Activities that we think you should definitely get out and enjoy during your time on St Simons Island.
If you love Halloween and all the scariness and spookiness that goes along with it than you will definitely enjoy the haunted walking tour of
coastal Georgia’s most haunted rice plantation! Although its spooky this is a family friendly activity!
You wont want to miss the very First food truck event in downtown Brunswick! If you love good food, live music, games, and activities than you and your family or friends will be sure to enjoy Food Truck Oktoberfest.
Pumpkin Patch & Pony Rides
What better way to enjoy a fall day than at a pumpkin patch. The Stables at Frederica are excited to welcome you to their annual Pumpkin Patch and Pony Rides all proceeds benefit the Middle and High School IEA teams.
Fall Fun in the Golden Isles
Fall is the perfect time of year in the Golden Isles! The days are still warm enough to enjoy the beautiful beaches and lay by the pool. The nights start to cool off a bit so you can enjoy walking to dinner or opting for dinner on the patio instead of inside. There is never a lack of great family friendly activities on St. Simons and the surrounding areas, but this time of year the outdoor activities are endless! Check out a few of our suggestions on what to do in the next few weeks. Click here to see a full list of activities happening this month!
Paint & Sip at Tortuga Jacks
Fun for all ages and open to the public. $25 gets you all the materials you need and the class.
Rhythm on the River
Come on out to the Rhythm on the River event from 8:00 p.m. at Mary Ross Waterfront Park: Bay & Gloucester Streets. Bring the kids, chairs or blanket, a picnic and your favorite beverage.
Come enjoy good food, great drinks, and even better company at the 6th annual St. Simons Island Food + Spirits Festival. Tickets are on sale now!
Presented by Pawsmopolitan Magazine and Mellow Mushroom. Enjoy food, drinks, raffles and family fun at the Barkin’ Howl-O-Ween.
Most days spent on St. Simons Island and the surrounding Golden Isles are sunny and warm but every now and again storms pass through. For vacationers, a rainy day trapped inside with kids excited for a beach day can be a scary thought so we’ve put together a list of recommendations for you and your family to try next time your beach day gets cancelled by the rain!
Rainy Day Activities in the Golden Isles
- Georgia Sea Turtle Center With admission tickets less than $10 the Sea Turtle Center is a great way to spend an afternoon. You will learn about the life of a sea turtle from conception to adulthood. You will get to watch them feed, maybe even see a medical procedure performed through the spectating window to the surgery room, and you will learn about how we can change our daily habits to better protect them.
- St Simons Island Movie Theatre The Island Cinemas is centrally located on St Simons and offers family friendly and affordable fun. With morning, afternoon, and evening movie times they have got you covered at any time on a rainy day.
- light house museum Another family friendly and affordable activity option is the Lighthouse Museum. Climb to the top of the lighthouse and take in breathtaking views overlooking the ocean or opt for the drier choice and meander through the Keeper’s Dwellings which houses the Museum exhibits.
- Hofwyl-Broadfield plantation Take a guided or self guided tour of this early 1800’s rice plantation. You will see heirlooms from the family as well as learn the history of plantation. Ghost Tours are also available at the plantation.
The year is half way over, it is hard to believe but in the Golden Isles there is never a lack of fun family friends things to do! Third quarter has so many great summer activities but we’ve highlight three must-do items along with a breakfast, lunch, and dinner spot we recommend you try! You won’t be sorry you did.
Featured July Activity
Enjoy a summer outdoor movie with the family courtesy of the St. Simons Land Trust. Bring a picnic, chairs or blanket and get ready to watch the Disney classic, Swiss Family Robinson at the Old Stables Corner.
Featured August Activity
Held on the oceanfront lawns of the St. Simons Lighthouse, A Little Light Music is a unique experience where concert-goers are encouraged to bring picnics, lawn chairs or blankets to enjoy performances on select Sunday evenings through August.
Featured September Activity
Top culinary and spirits personalities, renowned bands, and a range of intriguing instructional sessions combine to create a remarkable multi-day program that showcases the best of the South in the Southern Grown Festival.
Vacationing on St Simons Island this Fourth of July? Good News! There are plenty of family friendly celebrations.
- Conveniently located at the Pier Village on St Simons Island, the Annual Sunshine Festival is a family favorite. A tradition for over 60 years and still going strong. Enjoy the arts and crafts show, the 5k race or 1 mile fun run. Afterwards take a break to relax and watch the fireworks shine over ocean. Starting this Saturday, the fun lasts through the Fourth of July!
- Just across the causeway, Mary Ross Waterfront Park in the heart of Historic Downtown Brunswick hosts the Brunswick’s Old Fashion Fourth of July Celebration. Enjoy fun for the whole family with food, games, and fireworks. Fireworks will sparkle over the waters of the East River and Oglethorpe Bay starting around 9pm and last about 30 mins.
- If you are headed over the Sidney Lanier Bridge for Fourth of July celebrations be sure to check out the Jekyll Island Independence Day Celebrations. Starting the day off at 9am with a prideful patriotic parade through the Historic District. Whether you are a visitor or a local, participate in the fun by decorating your bikes, golf carts, strollers, or pets. From 12:00 – 6:00pm there will be bounce houses, water slides, sidewalk sales, and live music. Once the sun goes down see beautiful fireworks soaring through the air with views of St Simons in the background.
There are always fun, family friendly, and exciting things to do on the coastal St. Simons Island but during spring time is always packed with so many activities its hard to choose which ones to do! Here is a few of our favorites happening this week!
Now through May 1, 2017
Glynn Visual Arts
106 Island Drive
Saint Simons Island, GA 31522
Cocktails For Our Coast
One Hundred Miles is proud to partner with 19 local restaurants across our coast to highlight the significance of coastal Georgia’s natural ecosystems.
Each restaurant has created their own coastal-inspired cocktail: ‘The Spartini!’ For every Spartini purchased, $1 is donated to support OHM’s work to protect Georgia’s 100-mile coast. Stop by each restaurant between 3/15 and 4/30 and drink their limited-edition Spartini.
Participating restaurants include: Brunswick, St. Simons, and Jekyll: Basil Thai and Sushi, Beach House Restaurant, Blackwater Grill, Coastal Kitchen, Del Sur, The Driftwood Bistro, ECHO, Georgia Sea Grill, The Half Shell, Halyards, Jekyll Island Club Hotel, The Rooftop at Ocean Lodge, Tipsy McSway’s, and Tramici Neighborhood Italian
Golden Isles Food Truck Festival
Support the Golden Isles food truck movement on April 30th in Gascoigne Bluff Park! Bring the family and enjoy up to 30 different food trucks, live music, craft vendors, Corn Hole, and kids activities. 100% of the proceeds are donated to charity.